POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : chocolate cake : Re: chocolate cake Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:09:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: chocolate cake
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 22 Apr 2005 21:38:02
Message: <4269a6fa@news.povray.org>
Ross wrote:

> "Xplo Eristotle" <xpl### [at] infomagicnet> wrote in message
>
>>Jim Henderson wrote:
>>

>>>In a group setting, consideration for the majority is the rule of thumb,
>>>not consideration for the minority.
>>
>>You're suggesting that the majority have slow connections. I do not
>>believe this to be the case.
>>
>>-Xplo
>

> You are suggesting that slow connection is the only reason to post
> compressed images. It is one valid reason. The other is the owners ask us to
> be considerate and post jpegs.
>
> Why not use compression if doing so even at 99% quality reduces the file
> size to acceptable size? (acceptable depending on the person viewing, the
> image being compressed, etc...)

Lossy compression is a compromise, nothing more.. always has been. In
many cases, it's one that we still have to live with.. but we are
reaching a point with technology and infrastructure where it's feasible,
if not necessarily advisable - and isn't that the point of contention,
more or less? - to post PNGs, which would have no JPEG artifacts whatsoever.

Yes, a JPEG saved at really high quality with a good compressor will
appear perfect to the casual observer.. but is this REALLY something we
need to continue to concern ourselves with?

Jim's arguments about "consideration" for other users are pure bunk; I
have debunked them and I'm sick of replying to him. The only issue I see
here is consideration for the server owner, who must, after all, pay for
the necessary bandwidth and storage. If it's not yet feasible for him to
support storing and serving a large number of PNGs, I can certainly
respect that, but I wonder whether this is still the case, as it was
when the server use guidelines were written.

Unlike Eric, I've understood the pro-JPEG argument all along, and I'm
well aware of the pros, cons, and proper usage of JPEG. I was building
web pages back when loading time was a serious concern, so I had to be.
But unlike some of the others here, I don't see it as something to keep
around indefinitely.

-Xplo